Welcome to this ever so humble blog.
I'm going to be using it to track my progress in playing poker, and hopefully shamelessly soliciting the advice of those with more experience than me (most of the poker blogging community, in other words).
I've been playing around with the freerolls on PokerStars, and the free NL games on Party. My long-suffering spouse bought me a home game setup (Annie Duke's No Limit Hold'em), and I was shortly bored with it. The players were too easy to push around and predict their play. It took me a few tries to crack the WSOP 2004 simulation - that many players makes for a tough run through the field.
I kept reading on Iggy's blog, on Pauly's blog, on everybody and their sisters' blog how fishy the poker is online if you have half a brain - so I thought I'd give it a shot (I am well qualified in the half-a-brain category). After getting approval from my economic, social, and menu advisor (previously said long-suffering wife), I made a deposit on PokerStars through Neteller, eventually. Netellers' website kept going down and I thought it was a sign from the fates, but persistence paid off yet again. The first thing I did was sign up for the Katrina benefits tonight and Wednesday on Pokerstars - hope to see you there.
Then I signed up for a MTT on PokerStars - $1 + some vig. At that price, it's almost like a freeroll! 45 people at 5 tables started out, and I folded away. As advertised, the insane fish continued to go all in with absolute garbage, calling to the river with bottom pair ("I put you on a bluff" one genius says in chat), and generally making it a tedius but fairly easy process to get into the top half of the field. I made a couple of hideous errors - checking a nut boat on the river trying to elicit a bet instead of leading out (doh!), bluffing off a quarter of my stack on the final table, etc. But long story made short, I cashed in my first outing. I'm thinking I'll try out some of the .10 NL games and work my way up, and keep playing the MTT's. I really like that format - one buy in, lots of entertaining play, and a chance at some pay at the end. Obviously, I'm not going to be doing this for a living.
Thanks to Chris Halverson Professsional Poker Player, a fellow Minnesotan, for answering questions and making me feel comfortable dabbling my toes into the shallow end of the poker pool. That guy you see splashing around with the water wings making his way toward you? That's me.
I'm going to be using it to track my progress in playing poker, and hopefully shamelessly soliciting the advice of those with more experience than me (most of the poker blogging community, in other words).
I've been playing around with the freerolls on PokerStars, and the free NL games on Party. My long-suffering spouse bought me a home game setup (Annie Duke's No Limit Hold'em), and I was shortly bored with it. The players were too easy to push around and predict their play. It took me a few tries to crack the WSOP 2004 simulation - that many players makes for a tough run through the field.
I kept reading on Iggy's blog, on Pauly's blog, on everybody and their sisters' blog how fishy the poker is online if you have half a brain - so I thought I'd give it a shot (I am well qualified in the half-a-brain category). After getting approval from my economic, social, and menu advisor (previously said long-suffering wife), I made a deposit on PokerStars through Neteller, eventually. Netellers' website kept going down and I thought it was a sign from the fates, but persistence paid off yet again. The first thing I did was sign up for the Katrina benefits tonight and Wednesday on Pokerstars - hope to see you there.
Then I signed up for a MTT on PokerStars - $1 + some vig. At that price, it's almost like a freeroll! 45 people at 5 tables started out, and I folded away. As advertised, the insane fish continued to go all in with absolute garbage, calling to the river with bottom pair ("I put you on a bluff" one genius says in chat), and generally making it a tedius but fairly easy process to get into the top half of the field. I made a couple of hideous errors - checking a nut boat on the river trying to elicit a bet instead of leading out (doh!), bluffing off a quarter of my stack on the final table, etc. But long story made short, I cashed in my first outing. I'm thinking I'll try out some of the .10 NL games and work my way up, and keep playing the MTT's. I really like that format - one buy in, lots of entertaining play, and a chance at some pay at the end. Obviously, I'm not going to be doing this for a living.
Thanks to Chris Halverson Professsional Poker Player, a fellow Minnesotan, for answering questions and making me feel comfortable dabbling my toes into the shallow end of the poker pool. That guy you see splashing around with the water wings making his way toward you? That's me.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home