Above the Surface Tension

A blog. I ride some bicycle, do some bodywork, live some life. I am not a professional poker player, nor do I play one on TV. Mind the bubble! Still waters sometimes run deep.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Minnesota, United States

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Not much poker this weekend. Worked, and got addicted to a new game - huge timewaster called Runescape. Pretty much a cheapo version of Everquest. Reminds me of the old D&D RPG's like Curse of the Silver Bail or whatever.

Did a good ride today - and I put the Speedplay clipped pedals back on! Whoo. Which made the entire ride go something like this - clear stretch with no intersections or areas I might have to stop: think about turning circles with the pedals; spin, and keep the gear light enough so I *can* spin. Any place where there is an intersection up ahead, vehicle in the turn lane at a cross street, joggers with dogs (hi honey), or any other thing that might possibly make me have to put a foot down, I: started coasting, downshift into third smallest gear so I can get started again if I have to, repeat my mantra "don't forget to clip out if you have to put a foot down", shortened to "clip out, clip out, clip out" as I slowed to a stop - then remembering to fall to the side I clipped out on. For those of you who haven't ridden a bike with clipped pedals, let's just say that *everybody*, I mean everybody bites it at one time or another when they start riding with them. You come up to a stop, and try to put your foot down, and it won't come off the pedal. The first time I fell last year, I kept trying to pull my foot off the pedal all the way to the ground and couldn't understand what was happening. It doesn't take very long to fall over sideways. It looks really silly too, so I was willing to be paranoid the entire time to make sure it didn't happen.
Anyway, almost 18 miles today, and didn't fall down. I did the monster climb loop too - but in reverse, so I coasted down the steep side. Cheating, I know. Maybe next time. I think the hamstrings will be sore tomorrow as they catch up with the quads that have been doing the lion's share thus far. The upside of having clipped pedals though? I got up most of the climbs a gear higher than without them. So, one up from granny. ;)

ETA: Oh, and finally got the "simple" HRM (note to self, replace the battery in the good HRM already, willya?) to record and divluge the info without clearing itself today: One hour, 40 minutes, avg HR of 165, and 1770 calories burned. With the 500 calories from the two gels and one Clif bar, still a net of almost 1300 burned. Woo! That'll melt off the excess poundage.

1 Comments:

Blogger Frostbike said...

Don't worry, after a while the clipping in and out becomes pretty automatic. And you're right, everybody falls. I think my most embarrasing one was when I stopped at a red light and just toppled. With a line of cars behind me.

7:53 PM, August 10, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home