Above the Surface Tension

A blog. I ride some bicycle, do some bodywork, live some life. I am not a professional poker player, nor do I play one on TV. Mind the bubble! Still waters sometimes run deep.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Minnesota, United States

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Still grinding away on the micro limit games, variance is having fun toying with me. I entered the Moneymaker Millions thing at Stars, busted out early in a race. Crapshoots at best, like most of the freerolls. At 10 FPP a shot, people are going all in with any reasonably decent hand and hoping to get lucky three or four times in a row. Can't say that I can absolutely fault their approach - but it sure is annoying. Pushfest!

Went out on a little bike ride today. I'd planned to go yesterday, but the 100 degree heat and 110+ dewpoint put that idea out of my head thankfully. Today it was only 80, high humidity, but the radar showed rain moving in. I almost didn't go, but then thought I could probably beat it if I left right away, and what was the worst that could happen? Get wet, flat, fall down, break a leg. I wore a rain shell. Rookie! Didn't bring a pannier to stuff it in, and around mile 4 when I couldn't see because my glasses were fogging up even with both the shell and jersey unzipped, I stopped and took it off. (ETA: and tied it around my waist by the sleeves, tucked it into my jersey pockets, etc. to keep the sleeves out of the wheel - note to self, just bring the pannier next time) A kid on a three speed BMX passed me while I was doing that, and I was sadly marginally pleased when I overtook him on a baby slope. Pathetically out of shape, anyone? I'm getting a little bit stronger though, granny isn't the default climbing gear, and I haven't thrown the chain trying for a gear below granny since the first ride. ;)
When I got to the big downhill near home, it still wasn't raining and I thought I'd explore some back streets. Some pretty neighborhoods around here, and I found a new connecting trail into the Alimagnet park across the street from our house. The first sprinkles were coming down as I pulled in the driveway, so timing was right on. About an hour and a half, 13 miles, and a bunch of sweat. Looks like I'm going through a bottle of water about every 10 miles - hey Frosti, do you stop every 20 miles for refills when you're on longer rides or what? That beer belly camelback is looking better by the minute. Heh.
Here's the route I took today, didn't do the big steep hill section on 131st, but took the long one on 38 coming back. Elevation function wasn't working today for some reason, darnit.

If you enjoy funny stories, gonzo-style writing, and/or poker news from the WSOP, you owe it to yourself to check out Pauly's reporting. www.taopoker.blogspot.com

1 Comments:

Blogger Frostbike said...

Most of my longer rides I fill up whenever there's a rest stop, so it's hard to gauge. But commuting I usually go through a bottle each way, so that's about 12 miles per bottle.

10:19 AM, August 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home