Well, the vagaries of variance have munched the rest of my Party account. I'm still donking around on Stars a bit, but mostly freerolls while doing something else. I don't have the time/patience to play limit right now. Adios, poker addiction.
Went out for a ride today, and suffered through the biggest bonk of my life. For those of you lucky enough never to have experienced one, your body simply runs out of energy. It can happen to anyone, on any day. The causes are many, complex, and not all that well understood (by me, for sure anyway). F. Landis had one the day before his miracle ride. If you followed the TDF, you witnessed an epic bonk. I had thought I'd bonked before, but was wrong. This was bad. In the last mile of the ride, on virtual flats (or close enough as makes no difference) I was barely able to pedal in granny gear. My heart rate was low, almost resting - my legs just had no go in them. I almost fell over trying to put a water bottle back in the cage. I had no idea what happened, the ride was one I'd done before, I had plenty of sleep (more than I usually get these days, in fact), had eaten, etc.
Looking back with about an hour of recovery time, I think two things were factors. One, I rode the route backwards from what I normally do. This put big (relatively, for the nth time) climbs at the beginning of my ride, and the longer flatter stretch at the end. Secondly, I brought no solid food (usually have a Clif bar with me), just gels. I didn't have any bars around, and thought the gels would do it. I've started feeling the weakness & flushing from what I assumed was a beginning bonk before on rides, and started eating the Clif bar and felt fine. Apparently my body needs something more substantial than the gels, or I don't have very big glycogen stores, or both.
A quick note on the steep climb at the beginning (around mile 1.5) that I've only done twice before - I've shaved a couple HR points off it, and didn't hyperventilate at the top. Whee.
Ride link here.
Looking at it again, it was the climb around mile 7 that completely blew my wheels off. Almost dropped the chain off trying for a gear below granny there, and it didn't move out of it for most of the remainder of the ride.
Went out for a ride today, and suffered through the biggest bonk of my life. For those of you lucky enough never to have experienced one, your body simply runs out of energy. It can happen to anyone, on any day. The causes are many, complex, and not all that well understood (by me, for sure anyway). F. Landis had one the day before his miracle ride. If you followed the TDF, you witnessed an epic bonk. I had thought I'd bonked before, but was wrong. This was bad. In the last mile of the ride, on virtual flats (or close enough as makes no difference) I was barely able to pedal in granny gear. My heart rate was low, almost resting - my legs just had no go in them. I almost fell over trying to put a water bottle back in the cage. I had no idea what happened, the ride was one I'd done before, I had plenty of sleep (more than I usually get these days, in fact), had eaten, etc.
Looking back with about an hour of recovery time, I think two things were factors. One, I rode the route backwards from what I normally do. This put big (relatively, for the nth time) climbs at the beginning of my ride, and the longer flatter stretch at the end. Secondly, I brought no solid food (usually have a Clif bar with me), just gels. I didn't have any bars around, and thought the gels would do it. I've started feeling the weakness & flushing from what I assumed was a beginning bonk before on rides, and started eating the Clif bar and felt fine. Apparently my body needs something more substantial than the gels, or I don't have very big glycogen stores, or both.
A quick note on the steep climb at the beginning (around mile 1.5) that I've only done twice before - I've shaved a couple HR points off it, and didn't hyperventilate at the top. Whee.
Ride link here.
Looking at it again, it was the climb around mile 7 that completely blew my wheels off. Almost dropped the chain off trying for a gear below granny there, and it didn't move out of it for most of the remainder of the ride.


3 Comments:
Once the bonk is over, did you feel like it was sort of worth it? I've felt that way before. It was miserable when the bonk was happening. Then later, I felt like it was good for me.
Nope, bonks just leave me exhausted. There's a difference between bonking and just pushing yourself past what you perceive as your limits though...
I don't think bonking is good for much of anything.
Hey Nick,
I run and own College Poker Association and we just launched our free poker module at http:cpa.prizewagon.com. We're developing a College Poker Tour where we'll determine the best poker school and college poker players in the country all for free. Our members never play for real money but can and do win real money. We're in talks with a few groups about developing a televised event to take place in the Bahamas next Spring Break.
As part of our grassroots marketing campaign we're looking to get in touch with one poker blogger at each school to write about poker on their campus. We'd only ask that in 1 post each week you include a link to our site. That could be in the context of discussing a hand you played on our site or however you wanted to include it. Ideally your blog would be hosted at a .edu domain but it's not necessary at all. We would, however, like to see the name of your school appear in the blog occasionally.
In return we're rewarding all of our bloggers with access to every single freeroll we host on the site. While you don't have to pay to get into our freerolls you do have to earn your way in. Our bloggers would gain admittance without ever having to earn qualifying tickets. This is especially nice when it comes to our $10,000 Tournament Of Champions Freerolls.
Additionally we'll likely establish a monthly blogger only freeroll. The prizepooll will probably start somewhere around $100 for this but will go up as we get more bloggers.
Let me know if you'd be interested in being a part of this and I can get you more details.
You can email me at alex@collegepokerassociation.com.
I look forward to hearing from you,
Alex
Post a Comment
<< Home