All the salty margaritas in Los Angeles, I'm gonna' drink 'em up...
Fun night of poker last night, but I'm not getting enough sleep. Ah, well - I can sleep when I'm dead, right?
Joaquin left a prophetic comment to my last post - "Suckouts in O8 or just O will happen on your side for a while...wait until they go the other way...ouch! You will be screaming...STOP!STOP! It hurts!" I wasn't screaming, at least, but shaking my head a little. Two-tabled NL and Omaha last night. Dr. Pauly joined the Omaha game, I'd been chasing and was already down a bit. The lovely and modest ("I'm a fish") Jaxia Hyatt joined us, and Penner42 stopped by for a while before he had to run home to get back online for the WWdN tourney. I asked Pauly mostly in jest if he had any lessons for me in PLO, and he was generous enough to hold forth.
Pauly's Rule # 1: When he raises, fold. I only used this once, when I correctly deduced that he had flopped a wheel straight - but I held 24 for two pair. I'm pretty sure his bet didn't give me odds to draw for the boat. Comments welcome.
Other Pauly advice was that I needed to fold more pre-flop. He was right - I was taking a shot with too many hands. (But it's a double soooooted crap hand!) Learning some starting hand requirements for Omamahaha might be a decent idea, eh?
The last piece I remember was him saying to only draw to the nuts. Then I played a hand when I had A5xx - and the flop came TA5. I bet out, and another player raised me. I called (which I think I was correct in doing - a 5 coming on the turn would have put me on top), but already had a gut feeling that they had the AT. Turn was and A, and I couldn't get away from the donkey thought, "I have a full house, how can I lay this down!?" Because you're beat, and you knew it, genius, and you're drawing dead to the nuts. I was right, they beat me boat over boat. I was down almost two buy-ins in the Omatard at that point and went to bed. The losses there were ameliorated somewhat by being up over a buy-in in NL - got a guy to re-raise me all-in with his nut flush - I had a boat.
Hope everyone had fun in the tourney!
What, you were hoping I was going to tie in the post title? Music fans may recognize the lyrics of the late, great Warren Zevon (Desperados Under the Eaves). No, I'm not going to be flying to the West coast to fan-boy Wil, or try to take on Murderer's Row. I don't have the money for it, first of all, and it would only leave me disillusioned, broke, hungover and hanging around an airport waiting for the iron bird to wing me back to flyover land of the frozen north.
Speaking of hungover, I stopped by the local liquor store last night (blessed by having a place with over 800 beers in stock - refrigerated, no less) and picked up a limited edition 4 pack of Flying Dog breweries Gonzo Imperial Ale. A tribute to the also recently departed, unparalled Dr. Hunter S. Thompson, and a portion of the proceeds go to the construction of a memorial fist monument. RIP, you madman. (for the alcohol curious, I also picked up a couple monster bottles of Young's breweries Winter Warmer. Their Double Chocolate Stout is one of my all-time favorites. I'm anxious to try this.)
Fun night of poker last night, but I'm not getting enough sleep. Ah, well - I can sleep when I'm dead, right?
Joaquin left a prophetic comment to my last post - "Suckouts in O8 or just O will happen on your side for a while...wait until they go the other way...ouch! You will be screaming...STOP!STOP! It hurts!" I wasn't screaming, at least, but shaking my head a little. Two-tabled NL and Omaha last night. Dr. Pauly joined the Omaha game, I'd been chasing and was already down a bit. The lovely and modest ("I'm a fish") Jaxia Hyatt joined us, and Penner42 stopped by for a while before he had to run home to get back online for the WWdN tourney. I asked Pauly mostly in jest if he had any lessons for me in PLO, and he was generous enough to hold forth.
Pauly's Rule # 1: When he raises, fold. I only used this once, when I correctly deduced that he had flopped a wheel straight - but I held 24 for two pair. I'm pretty sure his bet didn't give me odds to draw for the boat. Comments welcome.
Other Pauly advice was that I needed to fold more pre-flop. He was right - I was taking a shot with too many hands. (But it's a double soooooted crap hand!) Learning some starting hand requirements for Omamahaha might be a decent idea, eh?
The last piece I remember was him saying to only draw to the nuts. Then I played a hand when I had A5xx - and the flop came TA5. I bet out, and another player raised me. I called (which I think I was correct in doing - a 5 coming on the turn would have put me on top), but already had a gut feeling that they had the AT. Turn was and A, and I couldn't get away from the donkey thought, "I have a full house, how can I lay this down!?" Because you're beat, and you knew it, genius, and you're drawing dead to the nuts. I was right, they beat me boat over boat. I was down almost two buy-ins in the Omatard at that point and went to bed. The losses there were ameliorated somewhat by being up over a buy-in in NL - got a guy to re-raise me all-in with his nut flush - I had a boat.
Hope everyone had fun in the tourney!
What, you were hoping I was going to tie in the post title? Music fans may recognize the lyrics of the late, great Warren Zevon (Desperados Under the Eaves). No, I'm not going to be flying to the West coast to fan-boy Wil, or try to take on Murderer's Row. I don't have the money for it, first of all, and it would only leave me disillusioned, broke, hungover and hanging around an airport waiting for the iron bird to wing me back to flyover land of the frozen north.
Speaking of hungover, I stopped by the local liquor store last night (blessed by having a place with over 800 beers in stock - refrigerated, no less) and picked up a limited edition 4 pack of Flying Dog breweries Gonzo Imperial Ale. A tribute to the also recently departed, unparalled Dr. Hunter S. Thompson, and a portion of the proceeds go to the construction of a memorial fist monument. RIP, you madman. (for the alcohol curious, I also picked up a couple monster bottles of Young's breweries Winter Warmer. Their Double Chocolate Stout is one of my all-time favorites. I'm anxious to try this.)


3 Comments:
Yea, I agree, sleeping IS for the dead. LOL Winter Warmer? Now I have to go try it. Happy New Year Joel to you and your family.
I liked the Winter Warmer. It had the same creamy mouthfeel that their Double Chocolate has, but with a long finish and range of flavors.
And, I noticed I called it an Imperial Ale - it's an Imperial Porter, doh! It was good as well. Said a brief toast to HST as it was on the way down.
Thanks for the well-wishes, and back at ya, slimeface!
Heh. I use that sleep-when-dead justification way too much.
I really need to get me some of that Double Chocolate!
Post a Comment
<< Home