In which I don't die, and barely pass an old lady.
Three days in a row, and what an oddly pleasant day for a ride it is. It's misting here in scenic Apple Valley - somewhere between what Fatty's friends would describe "damp" and "moist", I'm thinking. I discover rather quickly that the hood on the nifty rainjacket I'd picked up at the thrift store, for a song, wouldn't go over my helmet. Minus five practicality points for rainjacket. Receive clue as to why rainjacket was at thrift store, and for a song. Realize I've veered onto a tangent and attempt to resume 'narrative'. I cheer myself with the appropos quote "I don't think the heavy stuff is going to come down for some time yet".
In my infinite wisdom, because I had been a little sore in my left knee last night (and yes, I am ridiculously out of shape, thanks for noticing), I decided to head out and promptly go straight up the biggest hill in our area. It's not much, mind you, as hills go. A couple hundred feet, the incline can't be over single digits. It almost keeled me, it did. Looking for a gear below granny. Speaking of which, I looked over about half-way up the hill, and an elderly woman was out. I grimly passed her, flashing to that scene in Office Space, when the guy in the walker passes the lead character in his car. I emerged victorious, barely. The best part? She was walking.
Anyway, main hill past and rounding the back side of the route I'd chosen, and I'm looking at the trees and swoopy little rollers I'm going over and have an unfamiliar feeling, forgotten from 2007 when I was riding regularly (for me) - I actually enjoy this! Huzzah!
Ride the Third 2009
Three days in a row, and what an oddly pleasant day for a ride it is. It's misting here in scenic Apple Valley - somewhere between what Fatty's friends would describe "damp" and "moist", I'm thinking. I discover rather quickly that the hood on the nifty rainjacket I'd picked up at the thrift store, for a song, wouldn't go over my helmet. Minus five practicality points for rainjacket. Receive clue as to why rainjacket was at thrift store, and for a song. Realize I've veered onto a tangent and attempt to resume 'narrative'. I cheer myself with the appropos quote "I don't think the heavy stuff is going to come down for some time yet".
In my infinite wisdom, because I had been a little sore in my left knee last night (and yes, I am ridiculously out of shape, thanks for noticing), I decided to head out and promptly go straight up the biggest hill in our area. It's not much, mind you, as hills go. A couple hundred feet, the incline can't be over single digits. It almost keeled me, it did. Looking for a gear below granny. Speaking of which, I looked over about half-way up the hill, and an elderly woman was out. I grimly passed her, flashing to that scene in Office Space, when the guy in the walker passes the lead character in his car. I emerged victorious, barely. The best part? She was walking.
Anyway, main hill past and rounding the back side of the route I'd chosen, and I'm looking at the trees and swoopy little rollers I'm going over and have an unfamiliar feeling, forgotten from 2007 when I was riding regularly (for me) - I actually enjoy this! Huzzah!
Ride the Third 2009


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home